Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Got rust in your tub?

My bathroom needs help. Serious help. The tub surround features peach tiles with a brown border. We've been here for three years, and I've yet to figure out what to do with them besides rip them out and start anew.

However, I did remove the peel and stick peach shells from the bathtub floor. Actually, that was the very first thing I did when we bought the house. Before painting a single wall or bringing over a single spoon, I came armed with a razor blade and an assortment of scrubbing brushes and pads. Sure the shells came up, but their outlines remained...in rust.

Unfortunately, there's no before picture of the rusty shell outlines. I was too excited about the prospect of getting them off to grab a camera. I had tried everything...even borrowing some bleach from my neighbor and letting that soak in there for hours (I know, I know...I blame desperation). In the end, do you know what got it clean?A pumice stone! Yep, the very same one I've been scrubbing my feet with the past few years. My tub is cast iron, but you can use a pumice stone if you have rust stained porcelain or ceramic, too. Don't scrub too hard or you could scratch the surface (although I did test it and it didn't scratch mine...scrub hard at your own risk). Not only did it get rid of the rust but soap scum, too. My tub is 56 years old, and it looks sooo good.

Did you guys know this? Am I the last person to hear about the wonders of the pumice? Or is this new to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment